quick start guide
KIS BOOKS is an interactive “natural sign” platform – this way users, with no accounting knowledge, can add values directly to a financial report (add sales and expenses etc.), even drag & drop values around the report, – the accounting entries, sales tax and invoicing are all automated in the background to support your changes.
To drive this platform:
Users can choose to talk to a Virtual Bookkeeper or select self-titled functions.
KIS BOOKS has four main screens: REPORTS, ADMINISTRATION, BUSINESS CENTER and SALES TAX ACTIVITY.
On the BUSINESS CENTER screen Tap on the image of Sam to access your virtual bookkeeper. Otherwise, Tap (also Tap and Hold) on “Icons”, “Labels” or “Money Cells” to access their self-titled functions directly.
This platform automates your accounting, financial reports, audit reports, general administration, receipts image library and sales tax reporting (cash or accrual). It also includes a personal journal (a separate set of books for your non-business dealings) and offers a fully wired Quotation system. Other unique features include instant access to six financial years full records and images, full drill down functions, auto restore functionality and auto EOFY rollovers. For the accounting minded the double entry accounting entries are fully automated in the back office of KIS BOOKS.
Once installed the KIS BOOKS app can be used to access multiple accounts with separate books.
Please review the following “Quick Examples of Functions” and especially the “Important Issues”.
Examples of Functions:
Locate the Business Center screen:
– Tap on the image of Sam she can enter your sales and expenditures and run reports. Press on her image for context sensitive help.
– Tap on the account label “Advertising” to enter an advertising cost (also change dates and capture an image of a receipt or document).
-Press on the account label “Advertising” to edit the account details and download captured images.
– Tap on the monthly or annual “money cell” of Advertising to drill down. Tap again on any individual transaction to drill down further.
To recap: – Tap on an account name label to enter data or Press to Edit. “Tap on the Money” to review.
If you are required to charge Sales Tax:
– Tap on the first sales account to record sales within your “Home State” (your home address being as described in your Business Profile)
– Tap on the second sales account for “Interstate” taxable sales
If you are not required to charge Sales Tax:
-you can still use all sales accounts, however the third and fourth sales accounts streamline Nil sales tax sales. Important: – these top four sales accounts are used exclusively for sales tax reporting if required.
The Four main screens of KIS BOOKS:
BUSINESS CENTER Screen: –
The Business Center screen is a “Live Platform”, – a visual business management tool. This displays the monthly and annual activity of every account. You can see all your financial data at a glance and check for accuracy and omissions. Here you can run quick reports and drill down into all your business and private dealings over six financial years– even drag & drop entries around with your finger.
This Interactive Display lets you:
– Eye ball every account for errors/omissions
– Add/Edit all your financial transactions
– Manage both your Revenue and Capital to see clearly where your money is coming and going (both business and personal funds).
Remember – there is nothing much to remember in KIS BOOKS as most of the Labels are automated self-titled functions – just tap or press on them:
- Tap on the image of “Sam” to access her services as your Virtual Bookkeeper, or, Press on her image for context sensitive help
- Tap on an “account name” label to enter data and attach images of receipts/documents
- Press on an “account name” label to call the Edit screen. In this “Edit Selected Account” screen you can edit account names, opening balances, download recorded images and add the selected account to your “Favorites” account list.
This list of your favorite accounts creates a “mini-ledger” of your most used Revenue accounts, -tap on the “Star” icon located on the top RHS of this screen to add/delete from this list.
- Tap on the selected Month name displayed and one of Fast keys (I, E, A & L) to select a date and an account. KIS BOOKS has four main account groupings these are – Income, Expense, Assets & Liabilities (including Equities).
- “Drag & Drop” function. This function transfers transactions between “Expense” accounts with a tap of your finger (easier than learning how to do a Journal entry). To do this, – Press on your Target (the monthly “money cell” that contains the value you wish to move) until it turns Green. Then tap on the new (expense account) Destination “money cell” for these funds. A confirmation screen will then display. Note: “Pressing” on the Green highlighted cell twice will cancel this function. Note: – this function is not available for Journal Entries or Credit Purchases at this time.
- Tap on a money cell to “drill down” into its history, tap on each transaction that is then listed to review or edit
- Tap on one of the two reports icons (these are the icons just below Sam’s image) to run quick YTD financial reports
- Tap the search icon (magnifying glass) to find/edit/delete transactions
- Access both your “Business” books and a separate set of “Private” books (for your non-business/personal dealings) by selecting from the “Business/Private” labels
- Select the “Favorites/All” label to switch between a mini-ledger of your “Favorite” revenue accounts (i.e. your favorite income and expense accounts) and the full ledger. Favorite accounts can be selected via – Administration (screen)/Tools & Favorites/Setup Favorites/Favorites Income & Expense – then scroll and tap to select/deselect groups of your favorite accounts, – remember to tap “Save” to keep your changes. Or, go to the Business Center screen then press on an individual revenue account name to open an “Edit Selected Account” screen, then tap on the “Star” on the top RHS of this screen to select/deselect, then tap Save
- Tap the “Financial Year” label to select from Six Financial Years, then tap to select the required financial year then press “GO”
- KIS BOOKS has an automated “Financial Year Rollover” function. Go to the Administration (Screen)/Tools & Favorites/Financial Year Rollover/Go. This can copy your end of year capital account balances to their opening balances in the following year. Also adding the current year’s net profit to the following year’s Accumulated Equity account (this effectively clears all the Revenue account balances to the Balance Sheet so they start at zero to measure the next financial years performance). Rollover as much as you like – no data is purged in this process. Use the Lock/Unlock ledger option as required.
Access an Alternative/Quick-Start method to record “Money In” and “Money Out” transactions (for the preferred data entry method – go to the Business Center screen and tap directly on an account name), manage Quotes & Accounts, setup/edit both your Business and Personal Profile, setup/edit all your Business Contacts and access Tools that include Security, Membership, Financial year Rollovers, Etc.
Select a report from the drop-down list and tap the calendar wheel to select a time period to view, print & email reports – no need to type in dates. Note: – only those States with Sales Tax Activity are available for Sales Tax Reporting (see below).
SALES TAX ACTIVITY
This special purpose screen displays an “All State” overview. You can see and manage this critical side of your business at a swipe of a screen without running a report. Tap on the self-titled labels to re-display the data in monthly, quarterly, cash or accrual formats. Tap to Drill Down on all displayed values for their history.
Press on a State name to add specific Notes such as reference/registration numbers and sales tax reporting requirements. Any State that has “Activity” (Financial or Notation) is alphabetically prioritized on the display and highlighted with a Green dot. Only “Active” States (i.e. the States highlighted with the green dot) are listed in the Reports menu screen to enable access to their detailed sales tax history reports.
A Quote Management function is an addition to the Business Package that is only available to Premium Members (also included in the Free Trial period). This is an automated “3-Step” process.
Create a Quote:
Select “Quote Management” and tap the “+” sign to create a quote from the form presented. When complete KIS BOOKS will email a link to your client to review the quote and place the quote in your Pending file.
The return Notification process:
After your clients respond (by Accepting/Rejecting the quote):
- a push notification is sent to your KIS BOOKS app
- KIS BOOKS will then move the quote from your Pending file to your Won (or Lost) file.
Creating an Invoice from accepted Quotes:
Select a WON quote to auto-create an Invoice from the quote.
KIS BOOKS back office will then:
- create the invoice from the quote details and update any Sales Tax prefills (if required);
- email the invoice to your client;
- attend all the accounting processes (accounts receivable, sales tax entries and sales tax reports); and,
- remove the quote from the Won file.
See also the Reports screen option to view an infographic quotation analysis report.
Please ensure the PUK code sent to your email on Sign Up is kept safe at all times and that only you have access to this code. Any entity that has access to this PUK code is recognized by KIS BOOKS as the “authorized user” and we may request this code if required. For your security this code can’t be re-issued to any entity.
In the case where an unauthorized entity has changed your “sign in” credentials then the PUK code can be used to regain your access and change the “sign in” credentials.
The email you used to sign up to KIS BOOKS is recorded and locked in your “Personal Profile” (see the “My Profile” option on the Administration screen). This is your KIS BOOKS “user account email” and must be secure at all times for the duration of your membership. Your KIS BOOKS license “user account email” can’t be changed. You can of course change your Business URL for third party correspondence in your “Business Profile”.
Although KIS BOOKS has data backup policies in place it is required that you are personally responsible for regularly backing up all your financial reports and all other support/audit documents in print form or other secure media. Your backup periods should reflect the volume of transactions such that if your access is terminated or interrupted for any reason (including the auto-restore function that KIS Books will automatically invoke if required) then the backup periods chosen would ensure minimal inconvenience.
It is important you- (i) keep your Business Contacts information and your Business and Personal profile correct and as required for any Invoicing or other administrative purposes; and, (ii) install new versions of the app as required. Ensuring correct email addresses is essential. If a Business Contact does not have a valid email address you agree to substitute your email for theirs and self-administer any correspondence.
If you wish to terminate your membership then you must ensure for your own security that you print (or otherwise securely capture) a full hard copy of all your financial reports before your KIS BOOKS account expires.
Mobile phone settings
Depending on your device the performance of KIS BOOKS maybe affected by changes to your general settings including font sizes, screen modes and accessibility. It is also prohibited to open your KIS BOOKS app on two devices simultaneously.
Auto Restore Function
By using KIS BOOKS means you agree to the application of the KIS BOOKS auto data restore function. See FAQ 62 .
Keeping Address Details Up to Date:
In “My Profile” – your address and business email details must always be current (similarly for all your Business Contacts) this is required by KIS BOOKS for accurate sales invoices, sales tax and quotes etc.
For Those Charging Sales Tax:
For those charging sales tax the requirement to keep all addresses and emails up to date is of critical importance. KIS BOOKS uses your business address and your customers delivery address to automate sales tax prefills as well as email invoices and quotes. Users can edit all sales tax rate prefills “on the fly” during the creation of an invoice (the sales tax preview is an interactive editable display). Importantly, the geographic relation between you and your client is kept on an “Invoice to Invoice” basis for both cash and accrual sales tax reporting. KIS BOOKS recognizes the Invoice date as the contract date between you, your client and the applicable State. In the case where you or your client change addresses all subsequent invoice receipts reported on a cash or accrual basis will be related to the address details on the originating invoice being the original sale contract. By using KIS BOOKS you agree to all the calculation methods used in KIS BOOKS.
Important: Any Sales Tax included in a Quote is an estimate only, the sales tax rates may not be the actual Sales Tax applicable. Only the Sales Tax rates that are current at the date a Quote is converted to an Invoice are the applicable rates – i.e. the contract date. All the sales tax elements applied at the contract date can be edited if required.